Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Self Portrait Project

Those of you who know me, you will know just how thunderstruck I was after viewing the "beyond the screen of light" exhibit at the National Gallery of Victoria in 2005. Since then, I have been referencing the great man in many of my works.

My first painting class project this year is; select an artist and try to reproduce a painting (must be a self portrait), paint my own self portrait in this manner, develop my own series of images dealing with the theme of identity. Total of nine images.

I chose James Gleeson's "portrait of the artist as an evolving landscape" oil on canvas 152x204cm, 1993.

To see Gleeson's self portrait that I am using as a starting point follow this link. Due to copyright laws I cannot show you this image so please follow the link to view.

It will be a daunting task and I think I may have chosen something beyond my capabilities at this particular stage - but, I have thrown down the gauntlet and here I go!

I will be posting my works in progress from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment