Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dyslexia

Having only recently become aware of myself possessing Dyslexia, I am constantly surprised at just how many people I meet who are also Dyslexic. It is estimated that it is as high as one in five in this country (although these statistics seem to change every time I pick up literature on the subject). In the UK and America, children in primary schools have been tested for it since 1982. Here in Australia, at secondary and other higher education, a system has now been put in place for some assistance, however, in some primary schools it is not even recognized. My daughter, who has also been diagnosed with it, has had no help whatsoever. I have had to hunt through many obscure channels to finally find an outside tutor who could help her. WAKE UP AUSTRALIA!!!
Mixing up words, misspelling words or even leaving out complete lines of words are only some of the common factors. Thank God for Spell Check. I have lived most of my life knowing that there was something amiss but didn't know what it was. I strongly believed that I was stupid and had a learning disability. Since being diagnosed, my whole life has changed, and now I am not only comfortable with it, but I have even made the decision to go back to study - study was something I never thought I could do successfully in the past. Understanding is the key to many doors.
AOCDRNDICG TO RSCHEEARCH AT CMABRIGDE UINERVTISY, IT DSENO'T MTAETR WAHT OERDR THE LTTERES IN A WROD ARE, THE OLNY IPROAMTNT TIHNG IS TAHT THE FRSIT AND LSAT LTTEER BE IN THE RGHIT PCLAE. TIHS IS BCUSEAE THE HUAMN MNID DEOSNOT RAED ERVEY LTETER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WROD AS A WLOHE. IF YOU ......CAN... RAED TIHS, PSOT IT TO YUOR WLAL. OLNY 55% OF PLEPOE CAN

No comments:

Post a Comment